Wednesday 27 March 2013

Love and Hate

Sewing is many things to many of us, and while contemplating this in an intellectual manner (or not) I thought I'd put together a little post on the matter. 
There are times when we love it and times when it drives us crazy (beginners take note!).What follows are the worst and the best of our treasured art. 


Things I hate about sewing:
  • When the bobbin runs out and you've got like 6 more stitches to do until you've finished (obviously I don't pre-spin bobbins- does anyone do that!?)
  • Changing thread colour mid way through.
  • Finding threads stuck to all my clothes, all over my bed, in my cats mouths, in my cups of tea, in my husbands chest hair...!
  • Endless cutting. 
  • When you are gathering a piece of fabric and the thread breaks-agggghhhh! 
  • Snipping off all the annoying threads at the final hurdle (I mean, do you do that as you go? Smarty pants if you do!)
Things I love about sewing:
  • Looking at pretty fabric and knowing you can make it into anything you want.
  • The smell of a hot iron on new fabric- what is that? Chemicals probably!
  • Making and giving awesome handmade presents. 
  • The other cool people who sew to or who want to sew.
  • Vintage pattern art. 
  • The way that when you are totally in sewjo mode everything else switches off, its kind of like meditation right?
  • That cats and sewing are a match made in heaven (a kind of heaven where cats continually sit on your workspace, chew your pincushions and knock over your tea onto your fabric-but in a mega cute way!)

  • The sound of a sharp shear slicing through silk (say that fast)
  • Pride in your finished product.
I'm sure I'm missing loads, what else is there? What do you love and hate? 
(I hope everyone realises this wasnt just a cunning way to get two cat photos onto the blog....Who me?)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Other Posts You Might Like...

Blog Archive